Coming up next on Voicebox -- Hula...and a special announcement!
Saturday, February 25, 2012
A Night of Beer & The Music That Goes With It
May 16, 2012 at 50 Mason Social House
8pm-10pm, doors open at 7:30pm
Drinking/Songs: A Night of Beer and the Music That Goes With It affords beer lovers and vocal music fans an unrivaled opportunity to:
- taste a range of Dogfish Head artisanal beers inspired by brewing traditions from around the world.
- hear music associated with the selected ales performed by The Fill A Steins, a professional a cappella vocal ensemble.
- participate in a live discussion featuring the singers, cicerone Sayre Piotrkowski (The Monk's Kettle) and VoiceBox host Chloe Veltman about the deep connection between beer and song which will be recorded and broadcast on public radio’s VoiceBox the following week.
Join us for an unforgettable global journey through the shared cultural history of ale and song!
For more information please click here.
Tickets: $15 in advance or $20 on the door at https://
CALLING ALL BEER-SWILLIN' SONGWRITERS: ANNOUNCING THE INAUGURAL DRINKING/SONGS COMPETITION!
Compose a drinking song. Send your entry (music scores only please) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight on April 15. The winner will be announced at the Drinking/Songs event on May 16 and will receive:
- a live performance of his or her song at the event by The Fill A Steins.
- airplay on VoiceBox the following Friday.
- a bag of Dogfish Head swag.
COMING UP NEXT ON VOICEBOX:
In Hawaiian Hula, singing and dancing going hand in hand. Join Patrick Makuakane, director of Na Lei Hulu I Ka Wekiu, a hula school and performance company based in San Francisco, and VoiceBox host Chloe Veltman, for a journey into this ancient artistic tradition.
The program airs this Friday, March 3, from 10-11pm at 91.7 fm or www.kalw.org.
If you missed last week's show, it is available on demand via kalw's online music player throughout this week. Click here and scroll down to the VoiceBox link to access the latest broadcast.
All previously-aired VoiceBox broadcasts can be found here.
Question of the Week:
Which would you rather be great at: hula dancing or belly dancing?
VoiceBox is growing!
Eight shows from the VoiceBox archive on classical music themes will begin airing on KUSC -- Los Angeles's major classical music station -- on January 28.
Saturdays, 8 - 9pm on KUSC 91.5 FM.
And ALL the Voicebox podcasts will be available at KUSC starting on that date, ad infinitum, too!
Chloe spoke with KUSC's Gil Gross about Voicebox. Please listen here: